[Remind-Fans] front-end integration question

Paul Pelzl pelzlpj at eecs.umich.edu
Wed Mar 30 21:23:14 EST 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 08:43:59PM -0500, David F. Skoll wrote:
> > ... spawn an editor and automatically move to the REM line which
> > defines the reminder.
>
> > I'm a bit stuck on this one.  I had planned to simply look at the
> > reminder's MSG value and pass that to the editor's search function to
> > get to the right line.  Unfortunately, the substitution filter makes
> > that problematic.  Is it possible to disable the substitution filter?
>
> No.
>
> > Or is there some better way of getting at the reverse mapping I'm looking
> > for?
>
> There's no reliable way.  Check out how "tkremind" does it.  It adds
> tags to reminders and gets at them that way.  Untagged reminders, however,
> cannot be edited with tkremind.

I did look for some inspiration from tkremind, but I'd like to end up
with something that handles hand-edited reminder files more gracefully.

> Because Remind is highly programmable, the kind of reverse-mapping
> you're after is pretty much impossible.  Similarly, it's relatively
> straightforward to write a translator from other calendar formats to
> Remind, but nightmarish to go the other way around.

Yeah, it's clear that this would be pretty well impossible for the
general case.  I was just hoping to find something that works reliably
for the common case.

Would you entertain a patch to disable the substitution filter with a
command-line option?  I haven't looked too deep in the remind code yet,
but I imagine this would not be terribly difficult...

Paul