[Remind-Fans] Remind 3.0.23 is released

Vorländer, Martin MV at PDV-SYSTEME.DE
Tue Apr 19 10:46:52 EDT 2005

David,

you wrote:
> I hope you don't keel over in shock, but I've released a new version
> of Remind.  This is the first release since June 2000.  Grab it from
> http://www.roaringpenguin.com/penguin/open_source_remind.php

First, a big THANKS for the work you put into remind. It's a great
tool.

Second, I'd like to tell remind compiles without too much hassle under
OpenVMS (Alpha V7.2-2). The biggest obstacles are that VMS' make utility
is but a distant cousin of Unix make, and that shell scripts won't run
under DCL (the VMS shell), so I had to create my own makefile and config.h.

A minor annoyance are functions that only differ in case from one another
(in this case, StrnCpy and StrDup). By default, VMS' build system is
case-insensitiv, so they're clashing with the system routines. There
is an option to make the C compiler case sensitive, but I don't like
it too well (because in that case, _all_ source files - and in a big
project, these can be quite a few including libraries - have to be
built with it).

So, you can add OpenVMS to the list of (unsupported) OSes that remind
runs on, and refer inquiries about it to me.

Best regards,
  Martin
 Cetero censeo            | work: mv at pdv-systeme.de
 Redmondem delendam esse. |   http://www.pdv-systeme.de/users/martinv/