[Remind-Fans] wyrd question

Paul Pelzl pelzlpj at eecs.umich.edu
Wed Apr 20 12:15:18 EDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 10:42:28AM -0500, Tildar wrote:
> I have to say, I love remind, and wyrd has only made it better. thanks
> to both developers !
> I have one question\request.
> In the pane on the right i see my non timed reminders for the day as
> expected, but would also like to see the "Advance Warnings" that are
> scheduled for that day as well.
> A good example of it usefulness for me would be.
>

> REM 29 April +7 MSG %'Someones Birthday%' %b
>
> and if  know I'm going to be gone on April 22 (say someplace with some
> nice specialty shops),
> I could then check April 22 and see that Someones birthday on in 7
> days and know I'll need to pick up that special gift while I'm out
> that day. rather that coming back and finding i missed the
> opportunity.
>
> Is this possible in wyrd?

It's possible, but I think (1) it violates the principle of least
surprise and (2) it would require a lot of additional calls to remind,
which I would rather avoid.

I would feel more comfortable with something like this: you select a
date with the cursor, then hit 'r' to begin viewing something like
"rem -q -g <date> | less".  How does that strike you?

Paul