[Remind-Fans] Re: Sunrise, Sunset (Swiftly Flow the Days) ...

David Rogers davidrogers at telus.net
Wed May 4 04:06:42 EDT 2005

Mike Harris wrote:

>(5/2/05 10:00 PM) David Rogers <davidrogers at telus.net> wrote:
>
>> I hope I've used the example correctly, and I hope it works!
>
>Unfortunately, with or without the SET $CalcUTC line, it doesn't
>appear to be working ... :(

I don't know what might be different about our set-ups. (Except: have
you set your latitude and longitude? When I installed Remind, I fired up
X11 and used Remind's installer, which asked me for those numbers. If it
doesn't know your location, I suspect it might not be able to calculate
correct sunrise/set times.)

Here's the beginning of my .reminders file, which gives me correct
results as far as I can tell. There's nothing else "useful" in my file,
since I just picked up Remind a short time ago - the rest is just
appointments and an "include" line for a separate holidays file.

If I run Remind with this file, sunrise and sunset times are correct
(within a very few minutes anyway) for today; and if I ask for the days
around the end of October 2005, the sunrise and sunset times jump back
about an hour between Oct 29 and Oct 30.

#_______________

BANNER Reminders for %w, %d%s %m, %y%o:%
SET TimeZone -420

    # Use --8 rather than --7 because we want the last day BEFORE
    # the time switch occurs.
    REM Sun 1 May --8 SATISFY 1
    SET BegDst TRIGDATE()

    REM Sun 1 Nov --8 SATISFY 1
    SET EndDst TRIGDATE()

    # Check out the following IF statement and figure out why it works!
    IF EndDst < BegDst
        # Daylight Savings Time
        SET $MinsFromUTC TimeZone+60
    ELSE