[Remind-Fans] alarm notifications without tkremind in wyrd?

Paul Pelzl pelzlpj at eecs.umich.edu
Tue Sep 27 14:12:56 EDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 07:34:09PM +0200, Martin Stubenschrott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I really love the combination of remind and the excellent wyrd front end.

Glad you like it!

> In tkremind there is an option to popup an alarm reminder some minutes before
> the event.
>
> Since I really like wyrd much better than tkremind, is there a daemon or a
> wyrd feature which does the same?

There's nothing like this built into Wyrd, but Remind itself offers some
features that can provide alarm popups.  When my X server starts up, a
script launches the command

   remind -z -k'gxmessage -title "reminder" %s &' ~/.reminders &

This will generate a popup using gxmessage(1) whenever a timed reminder
gets triggered.  If I want some advance warning (say, 15 minutes), I can
cause Remind to trigger early by setting a 'tdelta' in the AT clause:

   REM Sep 27 2005 AT 14:30 +15 MSG Do something

(I should probably make a note about this strategy in the Wyrd documentation.)

> Paul: do you prefer messages directly to you or discussion such things on the
> remind mailing list?

For questions like this, which could benefit a lot of users, I think
it's good to use the mailing list.

Paul