[Remind-Fans] Need a bit of help on specifying dates

Paul Pelzl pelzlpj at eecs.umich.edu
Thu Apr 6 02:39:59 EDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 03:32:06AM -0400, remind at wayne47.com wrote:
> Using REMIND 03.00.24
>
> I'm having a bit of a hard time wrapping my mind around the date
> specification in remind and could use a bit of help.
>
> At 19:30 every Friday except if that Friday is before the first
> Saturday of the month.  I thought something like this would work:
>    REM 6 Fri OMIT -1 AT 19:30 DURATION 4:30 MSG foo
> but no luck.

I believe "OMIT -1" is not legal syntax.  Here's a solution, not sure if
it's optimal or not:

   REM Sat SATISFY day(trigdate()) > 7
   REM [trigger(trigdate())] -1 MSG something happens

The strategy there is to first find Saturdays that satisfy your
condition, then place the reminders as a second step.

> Second, if I say:
>    REM 15 Fri +4          MSG bar %b
>
> I would expect rem -c1 to show "bar in 4 days" on Monday Apr 17
> through "bar today" on  Friday Apr 21.   But I only get the "today"
> on the 21st.

I don't believe it's possible to get advance warning on a calendar
output.  (Personally, I think that would be a rather weird feature.)
You will get advance warnings if you generate a reminder list repeatedly,
for some series of days:

   rem -q Apr 6 2006 *10

> Is there some kind of "floating' event supported where if the task
> is not done today, te gets rolled forward to tommorrow?

I think most people handle task lists by generating reminders that run
every day after some trigger, and simply deleting them when done.

   REM 12 Apr *1 MSG file taxes

Paul