[Remind-Fans] remind install issue on os x (10.4.6)

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at digitaltorque.ca
Mon Apr 17 23:26:47 EDT 2006

On 17/04/06 Joachim Schulz said:

> Mike,
> bingo!
> Did what you suggested and it works.
> Now, what does that mean? (other than that I need to get a clue...)

Basically that. :)

When you run a command without a full path, any shell, DOS included, searches
the PATH environment variable for a list of directories to search for the
command.

Look in your shell's documentation.

man bash # for the bash shell, but I think you said Mac-OSX, so
man tcsh # for the inferior t-shell. ;-)

Newbie mistake. All shells work this way, except that DOS automagickally adds
the current directory to your PATH, which is dangerous, so Unix shells don't.

[msoulier at tigger ~]$ echo $PATH | tr ':' '\012'
/home/msoulier/bin
/usr/local/bin
/usr/local/sbin
/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_04/bin