[Remind-Fans] wxRemind - new GUI for remind

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Mon May 8 17:56:47 EDT 2006

Paul Smith wrote:
> On 5/8/06, Daniel Graham <daniel.graham at duke.edu> wrote:
>> Isn't an rpm spec file overkill for something this simple? I had
>> thought of including a setup.py but even that seemed unnecessary.
>> All that's required is to unpack the tgz file and create three
>> symbolic links and the included INSTALL file does this.
>
> Probably, to the majority of users, Dan, it is as you argue: overkill.
> However, for users like me, it would be useful to have a simple way to
> check/install the dependencies (with yum on Fedora Core 5). I wonder
> whether that is the reason why so many very simple programs come with
> a rpm (or the instructions on how to create it).

If it's too small to be "worth" packaging in an rpm, then it's certainly
too small to be worth the extra headache of keeping track of it as a
special case outside of rpm.

I look at it the same as a user making a small request. If I tell
myself, "I'm certain to rememebr this, it's not worth opening a helpdesk
ticket or adding it to my todo list", then it's almost guaranteed that
the next interruption will drop it from my memory, and then the user
will be upset a few weeks later when he asks why I didn't complete his
simple request and I have to tell him "oops, I forgot".

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.org / YAHOO abreauj
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9