[Remind-Fans] [ANN] Wyrd 1.4.0

Paul Pelzl pelzlpj at eecs.umich.edu
Thu Jun 29 00:15:34 EDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 12:31:49PM +0200, Martin Stubenschrott wrote:
> > The big new feature is the "quick reminder" command, which I'm rather
> > fond of.  This will let you type in an event description using natural
> > language.  Some examples:
> >
> >     meeting with Bob tomorrow at 11
> >     drop off package at 3pm
> >     wednesday 10am-11:30 go grocery shopping
> >     Board game night 20:15 next Fri
> >     7/4 Independence Day
>
> Wow that's fanatstic! The idea is so great, that I even think adding
> reminders this way is even much faster then using vim, although I adore
> vim. But with this feature, there is _definitly_ no faster way to create
> quick reminders - if we just could delete them again with a single
> keystroke now :)

Highlight the reminder and hit 'X'.  Cutting (-and-pasting) reminders was
introduced in 1.3.0. :-)

Glad you like the new feature.

> The only thing which could be improved, is that the date specification
> would follow the goto_big_endian setting, so that 2/4 would be 2nd April
> for us european people, when this setting is true.

I could easily set up an additional configuration variable for this
purpose.  Still, I'm a bit bothered that it's just a bandage for the
underlying problem: ideally there really ought to be different parsers
for different locales.  There are other issues you will undoubtedly run
into, like preference for 12-hour time over 24-hour and failure to
recognize German prepositions, etc.

Well, expect to see a date format option in the near future, at least.

> BTW: When fiddling around with the new quick remind parser, I'd love too
> see Up/Down arrow to recall the history in this (and the search) dialog,
> but it's not so much a problem anymore, when I get used to the syntax.

A history buffer would not be too difficult to implement.  I'll keep it
in mind.

> > I've also revamped the coloring code, so black-on-white and other such
> > settings ought to work now.  The new 'default' color keyword will make
> > use of your terminal's default colors, and can can be used to enable
> > background transparency on terminal emulators that support it.
>
> Great!! Thank you so much, finally it doesn't stand out on my lovely
> colored desktop :)
>
> With the new default wyrdrc, I had two things which were still colored
> white on black (timed_date and calendar_level2), but that was changed in
> a minute, now _everything_ looks just as I would expect.

Sounds good, thanks for the report.

Paul