[Remind-Fans] Wyrd 1.4 complaints

Martin Stubenschrott stubenschrott at gmx.net
Tue Jul 4 07:18:52 EDT 2006

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 12:41:59PM +0200, Martin Lorenz wrote:
> I consider it not very good manners of a end-user program to change key
> bindings and configuration syntax without warning
> by warning I mean to warn the user of changes when he fist starts the ne
> version...

Well, sometimes one need to change things to make it clearer, and the
new quit-binding is written on the top help line anyway.

> I use wyrd for my everyday work and the way it behaved up to version 1.3 was
> really ok.
> to change the semantics of 'q' from 'quit' ot 'quick something' was not
> nice. I reconfigured it now such that 'q' still means 'quit' and your 'quick
> reminder' feature is on '+' - btw. the templating mechanism is all I need.
> the quick reminder feature is not really useful for me.

That was changed with 1.3 afaik. I also much prefer 'q' for exiting
(more consistent with other apps), but I changed that within a minute,
and I _really_ like the quick reminder tool, I just mapped it to 'a'
(add reminder).

> The coloring is now relly awful as I cannot change the default background
> for wyrd. or is there a feature I simply haven't found?
> I use white as my shell background. but for wyrd I quite liked the black
> back and configured my coloring accordingly. now i have colors which are
> tuned for readability on black but the background is white.....
>
> btw... who needs transparent shell-backgrounds?

Nobody _needs_ them, nor do I use them, but it's really very
frustrating, _if_ you like them, and there is just one application
misbehaving. And the change is not only for transparent
shell-background, but also for people who use blue/green whatever
backgrounds, where the 'background' resource is not the same as color0
in the .Xdefaults file.

--
Martin