[Remind-Fans] Parsing Remind's "-s" Simple Output

Mike Harris mjharris-lists at rcn.com
Tue Oct 17 11:46:56 EDT 2006

I'm seeking some help with what I expect is simple text manipulation ... but nevertheless some skills that are -slightly- above my head right now.

Remind's -s flag returns events in this format (for me):

YYYY-MM-DD * * * * Event description.

I'd like to be able to parse this into:

MM-DD Event description.

Additionally, the -s flag returns events for the whole week; I'd like to remove listings from there that have already passed.

The reason?  Well, my normal 'remind' operation gives me essentially "the day's briefing," but I'd also like to have a look ahead, under a separate command, which I'm going to pipe to my desktop using GeekTool in small print.

So, essentially, I'm looking for help:

(1) Removing the first five characters of each line.

(2) Removing the " * * * *" from the line.

(3) Removing lines from the output that are in the past.

Would anyone have any input on this?

Much obliged in advance,

Mike Harris