[Remind-Fans] Removing "Today" in Certain Circumstances

Phil Snowberger psnowber at cse.nd.edu
Tue Oct 24 00:08:10 EDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 10:25:55PM -0500, Mike Harris wrote:
> I seem to remember there was some sort of clever trick wherein in certain contexts you could have it NOT display the "today."
>
> I've got a remind -s going ... and since the "%b" variable is there, I've got
>
> > 10/23 Frankie goes to Hollywood today.
> > 10/24 Do your laundry today.
> > 10/25 Shave the cat today.
>
> I'd ideally like, for this context and this context only, for to just omit that:
>
> > 10/23 Frankie goes to Hollywood.
> > 10/24 Do your laundry.
> > 10/25 Shave the cat.
>
> Possible?

Look in 'man remind' for the %" sequence.  What's between the %"'s is
what goes into the "calendar output".  "calendar output" is, I think,
what you would want to be printed when the date is discernable from
context (so you don't need it in the text of the reminder).

Rather than

	REM 23 Oct MSG Frankie goes to Hollywood %b

you'd use

	REM 23 Oct MSG %"Frankie goes to Hollywood%" %b

so that the output of commands would be:

'rem':    Frankie goes to Hollywood today
'rem -s': Frankie goes to Hollywood

hth,
--Phil

Phil Snowberger -- psnowber at cse.nd.edu