[Remind-Fans] Remind OSX package

David Rogers davidrogers at telus.net
Thu Nov 16 13:57:00 EST 2006

Jimmy Montano wrote:

>Good 2 know ports system is not dead on osx
>I don't want the hassle of installing Xcode and compiling soft on my
>iBook. I just wanna run remind with geeklog

Remind in particular is very easy to do, takes only seconds to compile:

1. Install Xcode and X11 (they're on your Tiger install disc, and there are lots of benefits to having those around, including not having to rely on third party port-ers who might disappear)

2. Download and decompress the regular distribution of Remind.

3. Start X11, and in its terminal window type "cd <path to the decompressed Remind directory>" and then hit return. (Make sure that the new prompt has changed to reflect that we are in the Remind directory.)

4. Then (in the same X11 window) type "wish ./build.tk" and hit return.

5. A friendly little tabbed window opens, allowing you to set up how Remind will be installed. Make sure to examine the contents of each of those tabbed sections - the installer doesn't step you through them.

6. After that is done and closed, type (in the same X11 terminal window again) "sudo make install" and hit return.

After a few seconds, you will be informed that Remind is installed.

Easier than hunting for pre-built distributions that are no longer there, and you can do it the same next time.

David