[Remind-Fans] Remind & Anacron & Non-Root-Owned Files - HAWLP!

T E Schmitz mailreg at numerixtechnology.de
Fri Dec 15 10:41:25 EST 2006

Mike Harris wrote:
> I've got a bit of a hardcore Unix question that is tangentially related to Remind.
>
> I have been trying to set up the daily e-mailing of Remind output -- in the form of a 'daily' calendar and a two-week calendar -- to me.  The latest incarnation involves 'anacron,' a variation on cron that accounts for when a system is sleeping (something cron doesn't account for).
>
> However, the problem seems to be that when Remind is run by anacron, it is run as root, creating an empty message body.  The message is:

I have just set this up myself:

You need to run anacron under your user using your own anacrontab and
spool directory for anacron's timestamp files:

anacron -S $HOME/cron/spool -t $HOME/cron/anacrontab

I run anacron from my .bashrc. This means it gets executed for every
login. On the other hand, it doesn't matter as anacron will only run the
job at the intervals specified in your anacrontab.

I keep all the anacron + cron stuff in $HOME/cron.

The actual job itself is a shell script, which pipes remind's output
into mail.

--

Best Regards,

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz