[Remind-Fans] Layers of information

Paul M Foster paulf at quillandmouse.com
Wed Jan 10 23:48:43 EST 2007

Alan Young wrote:
> I would like to be able to layer my information and be able to reference
> it.  This is a basic idea of what I have in mind:
>
> ; General Holidays
> Jul 4 Independence Day
> Feb 14 Valentines Day
> Feb 21 President's Day
>
> ; Work Holidays
> Independence Day
> Dec 26 Day After Christmas
>
> ; School Holidays
> President's Day
> Jan 12 PTC
>
> ; My Schedule
> Weekdays 09:00 Work
>    Duration 9 Hours
>    Except Work Holidays
>    Except Jan 16 Personal Day
>
> Work Mon 10:00 Development Meeting
>
> ; Son's Schedule
> Weekdays 07:30 School
>    Duration 8 Hours
>    Except School Holidays
>    Except Jan 2 Late Vacation
>
> School 07:50 Gym
>    Duration 50 Minutes
>
> School 08:50 English
>    Duration 110 Minutes
>
> School 10:50 Math
>    Duration 50 Minutes
>
> School 11:50 Lunch
>    Duration 30 Minutes
>
> ; Etc.
>
> The work and school schedules would appear as sub-elements of work and
> school, respectively.
>
> Does this make sense?  Is this possible to do with remind?

No it doesn't make sense. I was hoping someone else understood what you
were saying, but apparently not.

First, assuming you put all these events in your .reminders file, they
would all remind you on the appropriate days (assuming you defined dates
for things like "school", etc.).

So, *why* would you want the events separated, since presumably you want
them to show up on your calendar or daily reminders? Are you thinking of
accessing these items from a different program as well?

FWIW, you *can* put groups of events in different .reminders files, and
call them with INCLUDE directives (see the man page). Though I'm not
sure what benefit that would have.

You might try giving us an example of what you want to accomplish.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster