[Remind-Fans] Layers of information

Paul Pelzl pelzlpj at eecs.umich.edu
Thu Jan 11 11:12:28 EST 2007

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 07:50:07AM +0000, Alan Young wrote:
> Paul M Foster wrote:
> Instead, what I would like to be able to do is define a list of
> holidays, with all the necessary special handling.  Then I'd like to
> define a secondary list of work holiday's and another of school holidays
> that have a mix of references to the pre-defined holiday list and
> holidays specific to the type of list being defined (e.g., work holidays
> for the work list).  Then I would like to be able to reference the
> secondary list in an OMIT clause.

I would suggest maintaining the OMIT groups in separate reminder files,
then including them in localized OMIT contexts.  Example:

# .reminders-omit-general
OMIT Jan 1     # new years'
OMIT July 4    # independence day

# .reminders-omit-work
INCLUDE /path/to/.reminders-omit-general
OMIT Mar 14    # corporate holiday

# .reminders-omit-school
INCLUDE /path/to/.reminders-omit-general
OMIT Oct 17    # fall break

# .reminders

# Work-related
PUSH
INCLUDE /path/to/.reminders-omit-work
REM Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri SKIP MSG Work
REM Mon 10:00 SKIP MSG Development Meeting
POP

# School-related
PUSH
INCLUDE /path/to/.reminders-omit-school
REM Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri SKIP MSG School
REM Fri +7 SKIP MSG Weekly Assignment Due
POP

> Additionally, it would be nice to be able to associate sub events (like
> the work meeting or the weekly assignment) with main events (like work
> or school) so that the OMIT clause could be inherited.

Sorry, Remind is not object-oriented.  But you can group omit contexts
as I have above, and if you want to you should also be able to nest omit
contexts with additional PUSH and POP directives.

Hope that helps,

Paul