[Remind-Fans] help with "garbage day"

Paul Pelzl pelzlpj at eecs.umich.edu
Thu Jan 25 17:11:00 EST 2007

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 01:05:32PM -0800, brian hammond wrote:
> Oh I think I get what you are doing.  Mind if I double-check the logic since I'm not fully understanding SCANFROM?
>
>    # SCHEDULE TRASH DAY
>    # (locate first non-omitted weekday)
>    REM Mon AFTER SCANFROM [trigger(today()-2)] SATISFY 1
>
> REM Mon AFTER - this triggers a Mon or the next possible day after consecutive omitted days. If a particular Mon was omitted, this would trigger the next day, Tues, assuming that Tues is itself not omitted.

Yes.

> SCANFROM [trigger(today()-2)] - start looking at each date from 2 days prior to today.  What if today() is Thu?  Mon won't be found, right?  Shouldn't that be -7?

If today() is Thursday, then this block will trigger next week Monday
(i.e. has no effect).  However the third block ("SCHEDULE PLASTIC
RECYCLING DAY") will trigger on the prior Monday and should therefore
schedule plastic recycling on today() (assuming no omits).

The danger in making the change you suggest is that you may cause Remind
to trigger trash day a week in the past, and thus miss it completely.

> SATISFY 1 - "do nothing" since we don't want a msg displayed for the triggered date.

Yes.  We're simply finding the trigger date so that we can make use of
it in the computation that follows.

Paul