[Remind-Fans] A better rem2ics

Mark Atwood me at mark.atwood.name
Wed Feb 14 13:58:57 EST 2007

"A. Klostermaier" <remind-fan at klostermaier.de> writes:
> ##########
> - I was using your commandline-example and it worked fine. I just had to fix the paths

What paths did you have to fix?  Hopefully just the one on the first
line of the script, that pointed at the Perl interpreter.

> and entered my timezone for Middle Europe: TZ=MEZ-1MESZ

Exactly as you are supposed to do.

> ##########
> - The script generated the following warning:
>     Warning! The environment variable HOSTNAME was not properly set.
>     Will use "localhost" in the RFC2445 UID property
>   No problem with that...

You can make that warning go away by setting HOSTNAME just like you
have to set TZ.

What machine doesn't set HOSTNAME?  Mac? Windows?

> ##########
> - Although the script finished its job and produced a valid iCal-file I have literally thousands of error-messages of this kind:
>     Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at
>     /Users/capcom/Scripts/rem/rem2ics line 422, <STDIN> line 9958.

I've just fixed that bug, and a new version has been uploaded
to http://mark.atwood.name/code/rem2ics

> ########## - Repeatable dates show up properly. This is extremely
> nice. I have a function for birthdays, that not only shows me the
> birthday, but also the age of the person. In iCal each entry shows
> how old the person gets in the regarding year. Nice!!

Because of your remind birthday-function, each birthday is actually a
seperate iCal VEVENT, because the text describing each one is
different.

> ##########
> - UNTIL is not executed. Only the first date is shown in iCal, no repetition is caused by UNTIL-clauses. That would be nice to have!!

That's very odd.  rem2ics doesnt handle anything in the reminders
file, that is to be done by the remind program, and then sent to
rem2ics in the "-s" format.  If UNTIL isn't being processed, that
would be because remind didnt process it.

> ##########
> - I write down from-until dates usually in the following form:
>   REM 24 Mar 2007 AT 10:00 MSG -11:30 Meeting
> "-11:30" is simply string that shows as message text (very useful in calender view). In iCal the colon of this string is escaped, so the date shows as:
>     -11\:30 Meeting

The quoting rules for the colon character in a text property is a bit
confusing, but that will likely be my next fix.

> OK, thats it, thanks a lot again and maybe you can fix the one or
> other thing... ;-)

You are welcome.

--
Mark Atwood                 When you do things right, people won't be sure
me at mark.atwood.name         you've done anything at all.