[Remind-Fans] Diary

Daniel A Graham daniel.graham at duke.edu
Tue May 8 17:12:58 EDT 2007

Folks as absent minded as I might appreciate an easy way to remember what they've already done. I've attached a little script that I call 'diary' that does exactly this. For example, if I enter

	diary "submitted requests for fall text books"

today (May 8, 2007), then the following entry will be appended to a diary file that is included in my .reminders:

	REM  8 May 2007 MSG %"submitted requests for fall text books%"%

Here's the script
-------------- cut -------------------
#!/bin/bash
diary="/Users/dag/Documents/Reminders/diary"
date=`date +"%e %b %Y"`
if [ "$1" != "" ]; then
	ans="$@"
else
	echo "Entry for $date or empty line to cancel:"
	read ans
fi
if [ -n "$ans" ]; then
	echo "REM $date MSG %\"$ans%\"%" >> $diary
else
	echo Cancelled
fi

Now I can remember whether and when I've done something!

Best,
Dan