[Remind-Fans] Remind & Birth Control. ;-)

Dennis Groves dennis.groves at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 16:44:38 EST 2008

First; I want to thank everybody for their input & concern for my
fatherhood. ;-)
And second I want to clear up some confusion:

This is *not* the rhythm method; nor is it completely unreliable...
This is called the "Standard Days Method" and it is a fairly new
method of birth control about 6 years old. It is the result of a study
at Georgetown University.

The Standards Days Method differs from the rhythm method in that the
rhythm method requires that the woman collect detailed information
about the last six menstrual cycles and perform monthly calculations
to figure out which days in the current cycle she is most likely to
get pregnant. The Standard Days Method requires no such calculations.

You can read more about it here if you like:
<http://gumc.georgetown.edu/communications/releases/archive/cyclebeads_07102002.htm

Third, I do very much appreciate that all of you wish to protect me
from foolishness... ;-) However, as scary as it seems this has worked
very reliably for 5 years for my partner and I. And frankly it took
quite some time before we came to trust it. Every month was a
terrifying wait for the next period. However, it takes quite a bit of
tracking that I used to do manually. And I would like to 'backdate' my
StandardDaysMethod file in remind; so that I can view any prior month
should I choose to.

That said; this method seems to produce a year long calendar; however,
I need to track each period individually.
Because of that 'irregularity' that mentioned below (sorry I snipped
this out of the reply).

I don't understand line 7 below; and am I correct that remind behaves
much the way AWK does?

I was hoping to have a function call to a routine that would produce
the REMinders given a date? Is that possible?

Thank you all,

Dennis

On Jan 2, 2008, at 8:16 AM, David F. Skoll wrote:

> Dennis Groves wrote:
>
>> First you have to understand the birth control method:
>
> ;===================================================================
> ; The first day of your period
> SET period '2008-01-18'
>
> ; This is an average!
> SET period_len 28
>
> REM [trigger(period)] *[period_len] SCANFROM [trigger(today() -
> period_len + 5)] SATISFY 1
> SET cur_period trigdate()
> REM [trigger(cur_period)] MSG PERIOD
>
> SET fertile_start cur_period + 7
> SET fertile_end   cur_period + 18
>
> REM [trigger(fertile_start)] *1 UNTIL [trigger(fertile_end)] MSG
> FERTILE

Dennis Groves
+1 (602) 325-3037
dennis.groves at gmail.com