[Remind-Fans] how to keep .reminders file clean?

Paul M Foster paulf at quillandmouse.com
Sun Jan 27 22:16:59 EST 2008

On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 05:38:50PM -0500, R. Wood wrote:

> > I keep reminders in a variety of files by subject, *if* they are
> > recurring reminders. However, *one-time* reminders go in a one-time
> > reminder file, and can be purged as needed. Most events I have are
> > recurring, so the one-time file is smaller by far.
> >
> > Paul
> > --
> > Paul M. Foster
>
> Is there an efficient method for editing each of the different subject
> files you are keeping?  I use Vim so I suppose I could just edit the
> main ~/.reminders file, and have the other files referenced as
> 'includes', and invoke them with Ctrl-W f as needed.  Or is there an
> easier way to manage this?

Well... I use a calendar I hacked together. It's PHP, and my wife and I
used it to keep our schedule. For editing, you click on the event in the
calendar, and it takes you to the edit screen for that event. It knows the
file it belongs in, so when you're finished editing, it writes it back to
that file. Oh, and yes, the other files are included in the main
.reminders file, so they are all included when the calendar is displayed.
In fact, that reminder file also drives a cron job that emails us our
events for each day as well.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster