[Remind-Fans] reminder file locations

M. D. Betterton betterton at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 15:03:12 EST 2008

I am a brand-new user of the remind calendar program after reading
Gina Trapani's article about it on Lifehacker. I'm having some
problems, and I joined this list hoping for some advice.

I apologize if this question has been asked a million times. If this
is the wrong place for this type of question, please point me to a
more appropriate forum.

I'm using remind under cygwin on windows xp, as discussed in the
article. I would like to use a reminders file that is stored in "My
Documents" rather than in the default (home) directory. I have tried
doing this in two ways:

1. I set the the DOTREMINDERS environment variable in my .bashrc like this:
DOTREMINDERS="C:/Documents and Settings/user/My Documents/reminders.txt"

When running rem, I get the error message:
Can't access file: `/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/user/My Home/.reminders'.

Therefore it appears rem doesn't even know about the environment variable.

2. I also tried using an INCLUDE statement like this in the .reminders file:

include /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/user/My Documents/reminders.txt

but here the problem is that remind chokes on the spaces in the
filename. I've tried putting single/double quotes around the file
name, putting backslashes before the spaces ("My\ Documents"), no
luck.

Any suggestions you have would be welcome.

Meredith