[Remind-Fans] Daemon mode and normal reminders

Lars Stokholm lars.stokholm at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 11:24:27 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Paul Pelzl <pelzlpj at eecs.umich.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 04:52:20PM +0100, Lars Stokholm wrote:
>  > Only problem is that I also want to make use of normal (non-timed)
>  > reminders like this:
>  >
>  > REM 24 feb Casper's birthday (perhaps with a ONCE-keyword?)
>  >
>  > I was expecting it to just show up when I started X, but I see from
>  > the manual, that by using -z (daemon mode), this is not the case:
>  > Normal reminders are not triggered.
>  >
>  > What can I do about this?
>
>  If you just want to see a list of the day's reminders whenever you start
>  up X, you can just invoke "remind -q" from your .xinitrc (possibly with
>  the -a option).

That was a quick response. :)

So I put this in my .xinitrc:

rem -qa -k'xmessage -title Reminder %s&'
rem -z -k'xmessage -title Reminder %s&'&

I think it'll satisfy my needs. Perhaps I need a sleep in front of the
first line, I don't know yet. Anyway... Just one thing: I can't get
the ONCE keyword to work:

%grep Casper .reminders
rem once 22 feb msg Casper's birthday
%touch .reminders
%rem -qa
No reminders.

If I remove 'once' from .reminders, it'll remind me:

%rem -qa
Reminders for Friday, 22nd February, 2008 (today):

Casper's birthday

Regards,
Lars