[Remind-Fans] date substitution

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Mar 13 10:42:22 EDT 2008

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz wrote:

> I also created a variable for convenience:
> SET by "by %w %d%s %m %y"
> MSG %"make dental appointment %" [by] %

> 1) how can I achieve that the date is replaced by "today"/"tomorrow" on
> the trigger day and the day before respectively?

You can make it a function.  Something like this (see the man page for
the "choose" built-in function):

FSET by() choose(trigdate()-today()+1, "today", "tomorrow", "by %w %d%s %m %y")

and then use it like this:

MSG %"make dental appointment%" [by()] %

(This is untested... just dashed it off quickly.)

> 2) would it be possible to create another substitution filter for this?

It is not necessary because you can hack it together with a function.

> As an aside: After the trigger day (if using *1), %u displays "today".
> I would find it more useful if it showed the date, and maybe even
> yesterday on the day after.

Remind does not handle substitution for days *after* the trigger date;
that would be a big change.  I can look into it, though.

Regards,

David.