[Remind-Fans] installing remind on an N810

Kevin T. Neely ktneely at astroturfgarden.com
Wed Apr 16 16:43:08 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 02:23:57PM -0600, M. D. Betterton wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 12:52 PM, David F. Skoll <dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:
> "checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... configure: error:
> no accpetable grep could be found in
> /bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/user/xpg4/bin"
>
> Till and Kevin: do you think that using a VMware image of the maemo
> development environment help me get around the grep problem I am

i do not know for sure, but I would guess that it will.  The tablet runs busybox (or some derivative, I am not sure) so that the tools like grep are not really there, rather, they are linked to the busybox executable itself.  What usually happens is that these tools only have a rudimientary amount of functionality as compared to their full counterparts.

As I mentioned, I have not played with development for the tablets, but I read a lot of maemo-users posts  :)
You can install the maemo SDK on your own machine and play with it that way, but these images have been created to "get you going" as quickly as possible.  I would try them first.

hope that helps,

In Vino Veritas
http://astroturfgarden.com