[Remind-Fans] newlines with -k

John Harrigan jfharrigan at fedex.com
Mon May 12 11:46:27 EDT 2008

Shelagh Manton <shelagh.manton at gmail.com>:
> "David F. Skoll" <dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:
> > John Harrigan wrote:
> > > Is there a way to embed newlines into the MSG output when
> > > using the -k option?
> >
> > Not that I could figure out.  I think you'd need to do something like
> > this:
> > <snip>
> Doesn't MSF give you multiline messages? Would this help your script?

MSF doesn't seem to populate the %s field that I use to pass
the string to xmessage.  For now, I'm using a string pattern
to represent the newline and using sed to manipulate the output.

For example:
MSG Meeting__n__Room 1

And then:
remind -k'echo -e %s | sed -e "s/__n__/\n/g" | xmessage -file -'

It's kind of ugly but does what I need.  Since the long remind
command gets called from another script, it's not difficult to
use.