[Remind-Fans] A little script I use to put remind on the desktop

Shelagh Manton shelagh.manton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 23:00:10 EDT 2008

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 00:40:27 +0100
Dougie Lawson <dougie.lawson at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> Quoting Shelagh Manton <shelagh.manton at gmail.com>:
>
> > #dailypic: make a picture for desktop of the output of remind.
>
> Can you give a sample of the .reminders file you're using to drive
> this?
>
> BTW, I changed `remind` to `rem` in the script so it will find
> ~/.reminders automagically.
>
> Regards, Dougie.
>

> PS. Sorry if this turns up twice.
> First send went down an Internet blackhole.
There's nothing exciting about my .reminders file. Most of what I have
in it has been talked about on this mailing list.

But if you're interested, it is attached.

Perhaps the interesting bit is the part about "set"ting the colours.

I did also do another version of dailypic that looks at the desktop
environment
and
tries to use the proper background changing script, instead of just
xfdesktop. I've tested it in gnome (ubuntu). I've got something in
there that might work on kde (but I haven't tested it yet). And you can
specify where the daily.png is put in a startup file called .dailypic.

Also for this to work, the picture needs to be set as centred in your
desktop settings. For a pretty effect, I make the colours in the
background a gradient with two lightish colours. Dark colours make the
few white pixels surrounding the text show up,  as the transparent
backgrounding in the convert utility is not perfect.

Shelagh