[Remind-Fans] Commenting Out Only Part of Command (or, How to Handle Recurring To-Dos)

Mike Harris windycitypoe at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 11:46:59 EDT 2008

I have been testing using Remind to handle tasks to-do that have a
recurring timeframe.  The problem is that I often do not do them on
the day that I should.

As it stands, if you want something to appear every day, you do

REM September 30 2008 *1 MSG This is a task you've not done yet.%

But the problem is: let's say I'm supposed to do this task every 38
days.  What I'd like to do is:

REM September 30 2008 *1 #*38# MSG This is a task you've not done yet,
but when you do it, comment out the *1 and uncomment the *38 so that
it'll appear 38 days from today.%

With the "#" acting as a commenting-out just for that portion of the command.

Is there a character that currently does that?

Alternatively, has anyone else figured out another way to address the
problem of a task that normally needs to repeat a certain number of
days later, but in the meantime needs to stay on your schedule until
you do it?

Mike