[Remind-Fans] Remind in (real) daemon mode?

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at bludgeon.org
Sat Feb 28 15:01:43 EST 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 08:54:46PM +0100, timofonic timofonic wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 8:25 PM, David F. Skoll <dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:
> > timofonic timofonic wrote:
> >
> >> I would like to know if it's possible to run Remind as a daemon. I
> >> mean having a script for it on /etc/init.d or /etc/rc.d locations, and
> >> the user interface app connecting to it.
> >
> > No, this is not possible.
> >
> > You could, I suppose, write a daemon that manages the sockets and talks
> > to a Remind co-process, but permissions become an issue.  How do you
> > control who sees which reminder file?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > David.
>
> User and password? I did think on something like OpenLDAP but with
> Remind, but it seems it's not there.
>
> So no possible solution other than coding something for it?

Maybe somethign like cron where central remind files are stored under
/var/spool/remind per-user and could include remind files in your home
directory or whereever.

remindd (extra d) could just run as a daemon and parse files in this
spool directory.

Maybe "remind -e" could edit your spool file via $EDITOR like crontab
-e :-)

Anyways, probably wouldn't be too difficult to code something up for
yourself... just some ideas.

Ray