[Remind-Fans] tkremind and RUN

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Sat Aug 8 16:44:59 EDT 2009

Frank Hrebabetzky wrote:

> Now I wanted a program to be run instead of a
> message to be displayed. So I just created a simple reminder with
> tkremind and changed it with a text editor
> from	'REM TAG TKTAG163 8 August 2009 MSG Test'
> to	'REM TAG TKTAG163 8 August 2009 RUN xmessage -file test.txt'.
> but nothing happens.

TkRemind invokes Remind in one of these ways (simplified a bit):

remind -p -l ... This is to draw a calendar.  RUNs are ignored.

remind -z0 ...   This is for background reminders.  Only those with TIMEs
                 will be triggered.

remind -g -q -r ... This is for the daily reminder display on startup.  RUNs
                    are specifically disabled, with the "-r" option.

If you want your RUN command to actually do anything, you need to invoke
remind yourself.  A non-timed reminder will trigger each time you run remind
if its trigger date is satisfied.  I believe a timed reminder with a RUN
clause will be triggered by the "remind -z0 ..." daemon.

Regards,

David.