[Remind-Fans] Duration time in output

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Thu Apr 1 09:20:32 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 01:19:09PM -0400, David F. Skoll wrote:
> Jostein Berntsen wrote:
> > Sorry if this is obvious, but is it possible to get rem to output the
> > start and end time for an event based on the Duration, like this?
>
> > 10:00-11:00 Meeting at Mary's Place
>
> Unfortunately, it's not possible except in calendar mode.  Maybe
> for version 3.1.9...

I fondly wish remind remains true to being a reminder program and not
become a calendar program. (At least both modes should not be necessarily
mixed.)

While there is no dearth of PIM software that supports calendar
functionality, there are very few pure reminder programs (another one I
know of is kalarm) where you do not have to worry about specifying
duration and you just expect to be reminded at a given time.

Calendar type programs are usually useful to mark the busy hours etc.
particularly in a networked setup where others can know your free/busy
hours. I find reminder type programs to be useful in many more situations
(including getting reminders for meetings etc.)

Mayuresh.