[Remind-Fans] remind and pda's

TA T3 ta.t3.n800 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 09:58:03 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 2:17 AM, Neil Watson <remind at watson-wilson.ca> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm curious to know if anyone on this list is using Remind in some way
> with Android or Maemo (Nokia N900) smart-phones.   I've read that Remind
> has been ported to Maemo but not with Tkremind.

Sorry for replying so very late - I check this list only rarely.

I made the first (possibly still only) packaging of remind for Mamo Bora,
that is, Maemo 4.0. The N900 runs Maemo 5, but the same package will install
fine I believe. There wasn't much porting involved because I simply used the
original Debian sources which include the means to create a .deb package
(which is what Maemo uses). I only had  to adjust the Debian build scripts
to let it build the command line client only, because, as you correctly
point out, the Tk support wasn't there (and still isn't for the N900, at
least not out of the box).

I believe the package was announced on this list by the person originally
requesting the port, way back in April 2008 IIRC. The version was 03.01.04.
If there is interest I will continue to maintain a port of newer versions.
Ideally it should really be part of standard Maemo Extras, but for the
moment that would take a bit too much of my time to go through those hoops.
A simple build&packaging and making the package available is quick though.

Although I visit the list rarely I will be flagged if you just mention
"Nokia" somewhere, and I'll check a bit more often.