[Remind-Fans] tkremind kills symlinks

Ben Love blove+remind at kylimar.com
Thu Jun 24 12:51:35 EDT 2010

* David F. Skoll wrote on [2010-06-23 12:18:15 -0400]:
> David A. De Graaf wrote:
>
> >> Bottom line: Don't use a symlink.  If you must use a symlink,
> >> make ~/.reminders a *directory* rather than a file and keep your
> >> actual reminders in ~/.reminders/100-tkremind.rem
>
> > David, you have a twisted mind.  Oddly, this works perfectly.
>
> Right, because TkRemind creates ~/.reminders/100-tkremind.rem.xxx and
> renames it to ~/.reminders/100-tkremind.rem which does not molest the
> ~/.reminders symlink.
>
> > Thank you (for what I hope will be a temporary kludge.).
>
> It'll be permanent, I'm afraid... there are no plans to change
> the way TkRemind edits the file.

Perhaps there is a halfway solution?  If ~/.reminders is a symlink (and
not to a directory), TkRemind could follow the symlink and operate on
the real inode instead (i.e. ~/.reminders -> ~/realfile.rem, so it
creates relfile.rem.xxx and renames it to realfile.rem).  Unfortunately,
I don't know wish, so I don't know for sure what needs to change, but I
would guess it's something like:

# Fake wish/sh combined syntax.
set RemindFile $(readlink -f ~/.reminders)

Perhaps it's a lot more complicated than that though.

Ben

--
Ben Love
http://www.kylimar.com/