[Remind-Fans] rem preparser, etc

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Jun 28 17:58:11 EDT 2010

I'm only going to take some of this...

tsr.offentlig at tsr.se wrote:

[...]

> * A reminder tag
> What is it really?

It's just a tag.  TkRemind uses tags for its own purposes, but
Remind itself doesn't care about them.

> Can I use multiple tags for one reminder in some
> clever way (except defining them in the MSG)?

Not really, but you could make a tag like this:

REM ... TAG tagA,tagB,tagC ... MSG ...

As long as there's no white space, it'll be treated (by Remind) as one
big tag.  Unfortunately, Remind imposes a maximum length of 48
characters for a tag (defined in custom.h as TAG_LEN).

I think enhancing Remind to allow multiple TAGs would be a good thing.
Perhaps REM .. TAG tagA TAG tagB TAG tagC MSG foo could output:

YYYY/MM/DD * tagA,tagB,tagC * * foo

so existing "remind -p" parsers don't break, but back-ends that
care about tags could split on a comma.  Thoughts?

Regards,

David.