[Remind-Fans] Odd behavior in libraries from Fedora and RH Enterprise 5

John Quintana jpgquintana at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 13:50:37 EST 2010

I'm not sure if this has come up before but I have run into
an odd problem.    My IT group "upgraded" my Linux system
from Fedora RH Enterprise version 5.    I have been spending
the last few days recompiling applications and getting myself
functional.    I'm running remind 3.1.10 and I now have two
binaries.   One built under Fedora and the other built under
RHE.    Originally, I had scripts containing lines like

SET NEVER "Jan 1 2010"
SET X1_DATE [NEVER]

This always worked before under Fedora.  When compiled under
RHE I get a "parse error" on the second line.   If I change the pair

set NEVER "Jan 1 2010"
set X1_DATE NEVER

then everything works as expected for both binaries.   So, I have two
questions.

1) Any idea why this would be different.
2) Which is the syntactically correct way to do this.

Cheera,
John