[Remind-Fans] Remind now running on Android

derek at telus.net derek at telus.net
Tue Jan 25 15:41:30 EST 2011

> Would you mind posting a short howto?

Download and unzip the toolchain from www.codesourcery.com:

$ wget 'http://www.codesourcery.com/sgpp/lite/arm/portal/package7851/public/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/arm-2010.09-50-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2'

Add the "bin" dir containing arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc and arm-none-linux-gnueabi-strip in this tree to $PATH

Set $CC:

$ CC=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc

Go to your remind source tree and:

$ ./configure --build'='i386-linux --host'='arm-linux

Do whatever you want to custom.h and lang.h.

Edit the final "remind" object compile target line in src/Makefile to create a static binary:

$ printf '?gcc .* -o remind ?s/gcc /& -static/\nwq\n' | ed - src/Makefile

Strip it:

$ arm-none-linux-gnueabi-strip src/remind

Done!

This works for me with remind 03.01.10 on my htc Desire OS 2.2.
But it builds a file about twice the size of the ARM bash I've got in the "Better Terminal Emulator" package.
At some point I'll read up on how to create a linked binary with the Android libs.
And then the man pages in the Sourcery list CPU-specific options, etc.

Also, not a remind problem but "RUN" is disabled.  I don't have time to chase this down right now but no doubt it's permissions on the ARM host.