[Remind-Fans] MSG and RUN possible, or something similar?

Dave davo812 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 14:18:37 EST 2012

Dear Remind-Fans,

I am a relatively new user to remind and have been reading the
documentation and experimenting with the software for the last couple of
weeks.  It seems like very powerful and flexible software and thanks to
Mr. Skoll for writing it and making it available to the community.

I do have a challenge I am trying to solve, and I'm hoping someone on
the list could point me in the right direction.  Mostly I am looking to
use remind to do two things; (1) provide a visual alert to my terminal
when a reminder occurs, and (2) send me a reminder via email of an
upcoming appointment (in case I'm not at the terminal).  For many cases,
but not all, I want both 1 & 2 to happen for the same event.  In order
to satisfy both things, I seem to need to add each appointment or
reminder entry twice, once using MSG to output to the terminal and once
using RUN to get remind to send me a reminder email.  For example, this
is what I am currently doing:

REM Mar 5 AT 11:00 MSG Important Appointment
REM Mar 5 AT 11:00 RUN echo "Appointment to review stuff." | mail -s
"Time for Appt." user at example.com

Is there any way I can have remind do both of these things without
having to enter each appointment twice?  I also want to see appointments
cleanly in the calendar view (as I can now), and have found that RUN
statements are ignored there, but MSG statements show cleanly, so it
would great to have that work with any solution which is proposed as well.

Thanks for any tips in this regard.
-Dave