[Remind-Fans] Is this possible?

Bob Paver paver at southwestern.edu
Thu Apr 19 16:36:06 EDT 2012

sed, awk, and grep rely on regular expressions for much of what they do. I’ve been working on some form of *nix for 20 years and awk still gives me fits because I use it infrequently. There is an O’Reilly book on regular expressions used in various different applications. It’s well worth the money. I’d find tutorial documents for the aforementioned programs on the Internet as well. As you work through the tutorial(s) have the regular expression book and the relevant “man” pages handy so you can make connections among them. Annotate with the page numbers of the book, etc. so you can find things quickly.

Of the commonly used utilities, I find these to be challenging. Don’t expect to learn it overnight. Experiment, experiment, experiment.

Bob Paver
rcp at thepavers.net

As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.

- Henry David Thoreau -