[Remind-Fans] Moon Phases and Public Holidays for Queensland, Australia

Fmiser fmiser at gmail.com
Sun May 6 02:37:42 EDT 2012

> Ian! D. Allen wrote:

> And for complete MOON silliness, let's not forget the
> so-called Blue Moon:
>
> # See if next full moon will be in the same month
> IF monnum(moondate(2)) == monnum(moondate(2,moondate(2)+1))
>     REM [moondate(2)] MSG Blue Moon Month!
> ENDIF
> # See if previous full moon was in the same month
> IF monnum(moondate(2)) == monnum(moondate(2,moondate(2)-32))
>     REM [moondate(2)] MSG Second Full Moon!
> ENDIF

Hmm.  That would be for a blue moon defined as the second full
moon in a calendar month.  However, I recalled the definition to
be the third full moon in a season with 4 full moons.

A bit of google work found some references.

http://www.ips-planetarium.org/planetarian/articles/folkloreBlueMoon.html
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/moon/3304131.html?page=1&c=y
http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/when-is-the-next-blue-moon
http://www.moonconnection.com/blue_moon.phtml