[Remind-Fans] Whither banner?

Sun Oct 21 22:26:24 EDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 10:44 AM, David F. Skoll <dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 23:07:39 -0500
> tamouse mailing lists <tamouse.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > echo MSG Test | remind -
>> > Do you get a banner?
>
>> Yes, I do:
>
> OK.  Then something in your files is disabling the banner.  Try this:
>
> remind -def .remind > /tmp/diag.txt 2>&1
>
> and have a look at /tmp/diag.txt to see if there's anything enlightening.
>
> Regards,
>
> David.

Hmm.. nothing looks unusual. I went ahead and ran it with -dextvlf
even. Nothing that I can find...

Only the two lines contain the text 'banner':

tamara at caesar:~$ grep -i banner /tmp/diag.txt
REM 14 Sep MSG Francis Scott Key pens the "Star Spangled Banner", 1814 %
REM Sep 14 MSF Francis Scott Key writes words to "Star Spangled Banner", 1814 %

Going further, I walked through each .rem file in the subdirectory to
see which one might be failing, and they all produce the banner
correctly.

Then I tried this:

tamara at caesar:~$ cat .remind/*.rem | remind -q -
Reminders for Sunday, 21st October, 2012 (today):

test

Appointments:
Watercolour class on Tuesday
[snip]

**and the banner works!

And so I try it again, the normal way:

tamara at caesar:~$ remind -q .remind
Reminders for Sunday, 21st October, 2012 (today):

test

Appointments:
Watercolour class on Tuesday
[snip]

** AND CRIKEY IT WORKS

Just to be clear: this was what was happening:

tamara at caesar:~$ remind -q .remind

Appointments:
Watercolour class on Tuesday
[snip]

** The ONLY thing I changed was to add a reminder to end of the
00-defs.rem file that should load first.

Sure enough, I take out the reminder, and the banner doesn't show up.

I don't put reminders in the 00-defs.rem file. Does every .rem file
require some kind of reminder, message, or something? 00-defs.rem is
just SETs and FSETs and a few other formulae. It's about 75% comment
lines.