[Remind-Fans] help calculating event dates

hymie! hymie at lactose.homelinux.net
Sun Dec 2 09:31:44 EST 2012

Greetings.  Long-time semi-power Remind user with a new problem.

A friend (Jeff) and I each hold parties on alternating Fridays.  That was
an easy reminder:
rem 20 oct 2006 skip *14 msg party night

Now I need to cut back my parties.  His party will continue to be held
on the same alternating-Fridays that it's always been.  My party will
be either the first Friday or the second Friday of each month, whichever
is not Jeff's night.

So I'm looking for a way to
(*) calculate (but not display) the nights of Jeff's party
(*) check the first Friday of the month
(*) if it doesn't match Jeff's party, then it's my party
(*) othewise, check the second Friday

There's probably an easier way to describe the pattern, which I don't see,
which might help figuring out my calculations easier.  For example
(*) check the first 2 Fridays of each month (Friday where date <15)
(*) skip Jeff's Friday

or something else that I don't see.

Any help you guys can offer would be appreciated.

--hymie!    http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie    hymie at lactose.homelinux.net