[Remind-Fans] "remind -n" bug?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Aug 30 13:27:29 EDT 2013

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 07:55:04 -0400
Jonathan Kamens <jik at kamens.us> wrote:

>     IFTRIG 2013-09-05 *1 UNTIL 2014-06-15
>        IFTRIG Thu
>          MSG "Hello world!"
>        ENDIF

> However, "remind -n bug.rem 29 aug 2013" shows this:

>     2013/08/29 "Hello world!"

> Seems like a bug?

I guess it is a bug.  The reason it happens is that the "-n" option
essentially adds an infinite delta to each reminder.  That is, you
can think of it as changing:

	REM something MSG foo

to:

	REM something +Inf MSG foo

which always causes the reminder to trigger.  Now the code that processes
triggers is the same as the code that processes IFTRIG, so the IFTRIGs get
a +Inf delta, which makes them always trigger.

It is too hard to fix this, so I will most likely change the documentation
to say that IFTRIG statements can mess up the "-n" mode. :)

Regards,

David.