[Remind-Fans] Time Zone-neutral events

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Sun Dec 22 23:20:32 EST 2013

On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 16:47:43 -0800
Allen Li <cyberdupo56 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if there was a simple way to set events irrespective
> of system timezone?

No; that's one of Remind's glaring design deficiencies.  (The other major
one is the inability to have one reminder with a duration that makes it
span multiple days.)

 Like `REM GMT Dec 1 AT 06:00` or something.

You could fake it:

REM 2013 Dec 1 AT [06:00 + minsfromutc('2013-12-01')] MSG 06:00 UTC

but that would fail if you live more than six hours west of UTC.
It's also a pain to code the date twice.

> Looking through the man page, it seems like I could jury rig
> something using tzconvert and global variables, but you would have to
> manually edit the time zone in the reminder file whenever you change
> the system time.

No, minsfromutc() accesses the time zone information from the system.

Regards,

David.