[Remind-Fans] Tracking amount of time spent in different roles.

Paul A Sand pas at unh.edu
Sun Jan 5 08:47:54 EST 2014

* Abner Gershon <6731955 at gmail.com> [2014-01-05 07:52]:
> I am trying to reach a happier and healthier balance in the various roles
> that I juggle. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions about getting
> information from remind directly or indirectly about how much time was
> spent during a month or a week in various activities or groups of
> activities?
>
> There is an app Hamster that I read about but I have been happy using
> remind and prefer command line to gui.

I don’t do this myself, and I assume David will weigh in shortly
with a more elegant and complete solution, but:

It seems it wouldn’t be too awfully difficult
to parse/summarize the output of “remind -s” to get this information.

For example, to get last month:

    remind -s1 ~/.reminders Dec 2013

(~/.reminders is my master remind datafile, ymmv)

If the fourth field of an output line is an integer, it looks
like it is an event’s duration in minutes. In my case:

    2013/12/12 * * 90 510 8:30-10:00am Staff Meeting, 1LL Room 161

A ninety-minute staff meeting (Moan.)

Assuming you’re diligent and consistent about recording “various
activities” in your remind data, adding things up and formatting
them appropriately doesn’t seem too tough.

I would write something in Perl, but that’s me. Might be doable
with awk too.

--
-- Paul A Sand <pas at unh.edu>
-- Information Technology / University of New Hampshire