[Remind-Fans] include txt files instead of .rem files in directory and open that file

Ruthard Baudach ruthard.baudach at web.de
Mon May 26 12:21:50 EDT 2014

>== Auszüge aus der Nachricht von  Dave Parker vom 2014-05-22 01:00:
> I am starting to use a file based todo system (one directory holding text
> files which are the "todos") and I had the idea that maybe I could just
> include that directory and have some sort of rem statement within the file
> that would run the file itself (i.e. just open the text file) when the
> date/time came up.
>
> Is this possible?

depends on what you mean...

Idea 1)
  remind does not know about extensions. If the file contains valid
  reminder input, it may have every extension you like.
  Thus:

    include mytextfile.txt

  works perfectly well, as long as mytextfile.txt contains reminder
  commands

Idea 2)
  to open a file, use the RUN command:

  2000-01-01 AT 01:01 RUN my-favorite-editor-or-pager /path/to/mytextfile.txt

Idea 3)
  remind is IMHO not suited to manage todos -- there is no easy method
  to manage deadlines, priorities, contexts and projects.

  Had a look on todo.sh by Gina Trapani (todotxt.com)

  I would love to create a interface for remind and todo.sh, just didn't
  have the opportunity.

Yours,

Ruthard