[Remind-Fans] orthodox easter (pascha) calculation. tested and working.

gino-aerografia gino.aerografia at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 08:45:49 EDT 2015

To anyone interested to automatically calculate orthodox easter date
(movable holiday based on
julian calendar and moon phases). Tested by changing my BIOS time to
future years and seems to
work flawlessly. Method used is the same one greek orthodox church uses
to translate julian's cal. days
to gregorian's.

# orthodox easter calculation
SET cal_d 44-((((year(today())-2)%19)*11)%30)
IF cal_d <= 20
    SET pas_d date(year(today()),03,cal_d)+11
ELSE
    SET pas_d date(year(today()),03,cal_d)+11
ENDIF
SET Easterdate evaltrig("Sunday",pas_d)

# now use Easterdate var to your liking. examples:
REM Monday [Easterdate -48] MSG Clean Monday
REM Wednesday [Easterdate -4] MSG Holy Wednesday
REM Friday [Easterdate -2] MSG Holy Friday
REM [Easterdate] MSG Orthodox Easter - Great & Holy Pascha
# find all days related to Easter here:
http://www.namedays.gr/arthra/pasxa.php

Also, St George's day, although a fixed one, (23 Apr), moves to first
Monday from Easter,
if it falls in the same day with it or on the week before it. So we have

SET geo_d  date(year(today()),04,23)
IF (Easterdate -7 <= geo_d && geo_d <= Easterdate)
    REM Monday [Easterdate] MSG Saint George
ELSE
    REM 23 April MSG Saint George
ENDIF

Greetings from the island of Crete, and please excuse my english.
Giorgio