[Remind-Fans] best way to handle a list of dates

Ian! D. Allen idallen at idallen.ca
Wed May 25 08:29:55 EDT 2016

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 10:33:36PM -0500, David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:02:19 -0500 "Ian! D. Allen" wrote:
> > What's the best way to handle a reminder that occurs on a list of a
> > dozen or more dates that don't have a regular pattern?
>
> # Note: Strings!
> set d1 "2015-01-05"
> set d2 "2015-01-19"
> set d3 "2015-01-29"
> # ... etc
>
> SET d iif(evaltrig(d1) != -1, d1, \
>           evaltrig(d2) != -1, d2, \
>           evaltrig(d3) != -1, d3, \
>           -1)
> # ... Add more cases to the iif as necessary
>
> if typeof(d) == "STRING"
>    REM [d] ++99 MSG Event
> endif

The above appears to create one remind event, not an event on each of
the separate dates.  Using ++99 works to give me advance warning of
only one of the multiple events (the next one), not all the events.
Can that be fixed?

I'm looking for a way to shorten this so that I only code the MSG and
SPECIAL lines once, not a dozen times each:

REM 2015-01-05 ++99 MSG Event
REM 2015-01-05 SPECIAL HTML <a href="http://example.com/event">Event</a>
REM 2015-01-19 ++99 MSG Event
REM 2015-01-19 SPECIAL HTML <a href="http://example.com/event">Event</a>
REM 2015-01-29 ++99 MSG Event
REM 2015-01-29 SPECIAL HTML <a href="http://example.com/event">Event</a>
# ... etc

The idea is like this loop below, though of course Remind doesn't work this way:

SET text "This is some event"
SET list ("2015-01-05","2015-01-19","2015-01-29")  # ... many more dates
FOR d IN list ; DO
    REM [d] ++99 MSG [text]
    REM [d] SPECIAL HTML <a href="http://example.com/event">[text]</a>
DONE

I really do want to see advance notice of multiple upcoming events,
not just the next one.

(Of course I will write a shell script to produce the dozen lines if I
have to, but I'm wondering if Remind has some hidden way of doing this.)