[Remind-Fans] Getting a reminder *after* an event?

Tim Chase remind at tim.thechases.com
Wed Aug 29 11:56:03 EDT 2018

On 2018-08-29 09:55, Dianne Skoll wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 19:47:08 -0500
> Tim Chase <remind at tim.thechases.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a series of events and want to have a reminder appear the
> > day *after* the event to trigger followup.  Assuming
>
> > REM Sep 9 2018 [magic here?] MSG %"Follow up%"%
>
> > I'm looking for the magic that lets me keep the "Sept 9 2018" date
> > associated with the event, but has a follow-up reminder show up
> > in the output of `rem` on the day after the event.
>
> No such magic exists, unfortunately.  A core part of Remind's
> algorithm makes it stop issuing reminders once the date has
> passed.  You'd need to make another reminder such as REM Sep 10
> 2018 ...

Okay, thanks.  At least there wasn't some feature that I was missing.

Fortunately, GNU's date(1) command lets me pipe in a range of dates
and auto increment them:

  $ head -1 cowboys_game_dates.txt # dates are of this form
  Sep 9 2018

  $ sed 's/$/ + 1 day/' cowboys_game_dates.txt | \
    date -f- +'%b %e %Y' | \
    sed 's/.*/REM & MSG %"Check Cowboys score for free coffee%"%/' \
    > cowboys.rem

which makes it simple to keep the original date list while also
automatically generating the .rem entries :-)

-Tim