[Remind-Fans] Beginner questions

Tim Chase remind at tim.thechases.com
Mon Jun 3 14:37:29 EDT 2019

On 2019-06-03 18:11, pvpizza at posteo.net wrote:
> Can I clarify the use of "%?
>
> I believe that it removes blanks lines from being created? but how
> does it work with a line like:
>
> %"New Years party%"%

In retrospect, my last line could have been just

  SATISFY [! $NumTrig] MSG %

The %"…%" surrounds text that appears on the calender-views vs. what
appears in the regular output of remind.  So if you have

  REM Apr 1 MSG %"April fools%" don't get fooled%

and type

  $ rem 2019-04-01

you'll get the full "April fools don't get fooled" but if you issue

  $ rem -c 2019-04-01

you'll get a calendar where that day's entry reads only "April
fools" (the stuff between the %" marks)

The trailing "%" then instructs remind not to add an extra blank
line (it's a personal pet peeve since that's almost always what I
want, yet occasionally forget).

-tim