[Remind-Fans] use of INCLUDECMD in web calendar blocked by automatic RUN OFF

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Tue Oct 5 10:23:30 EDT 2021

On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 04:20:23 -0400
"Ian! D. Allen via Remind-fans" <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

> But it doesn't work with my web calendar, because my Apache server
> runs all PHP code as "www-data" and remind turns RUN OFF when the
> owner of the .reminder file (me) doesn't match the user running
> remind (www-data).

There's a workaround for this.  Remind does not check the owner
of stdin; it assume that if you feed it a file from stdin you know
what you are doing.  So you could replace your PHP line with this:

<?php system("HOME=/home/idallen remind -Tidallen -q -b2 -p".$months." - < /home/idallen/.reminders | [...]

and it should work.  The "-" tells Remind to read from stdin.

I will add documentation to the man page clarifying that Remind
doesn't attempt to fstat() stdin to check ownership.

If your .reminders file INCLUDEs other normal files, though, RUN will
be disabled in *those* files.

[...]

> (Odd fact: Even though remind claims that "For any given Remind run,
> a given INCLUDECMD command is only executed once and the  results are
> cached.", remind is giving me 31 "RUN disabled" errors for a one-month
> October calendar, and correspondingly more for multi-month calendars.
> I expected only one error message.)

Ah... A given *successful* INCLUDECMD is only executed once. :)  I
guess I should clarify that.

> I love remind.  Thank you Dianne!

You're welcome!  Glad you like it!